Wednesday 14 January 2009

Do you want to appear in A Memory of Light?

From Brandon Sanderson's journal:

"It has become a tradition for me to auction off naming rights to one of the characters in each of my novels.

When I started working on the Wheel of Time novel, it was my assumption that I would forego the tradition for this particular book. I wasn't planning on doing anything.

But then the awesome Pat Rothfuss started up a charity drive this Christmas. This was a particularly bad year for charities, as a lot of people were tightening their belts and cutting their spending. I read several articles talking about how difficult a year it was going to be for a lot of people in underdeveloped areas of the world, where the economy doesn't just mean fewer trips to the movies--it means children starve because there isn't enough food to be had.

At that moment, I realized that we had something very special in the Wheel of Time book - an opportunity that shouldn't be passed up. I asked Harriet if she'd mind me auctioning off a character in A Memory of Light. She was behind that 100%.

You can appear in A Memory of Light in two ways:

1) Bid on the naming rights through the auction.

2) Make a donation and join those fighting in the Last Battle. (With a $20 minimum donation getting you a shot at appearing in the book.)"

Kudos to Sanderson for supporting a good cause (and to Pat Rothfuss for starting it!). If you fancy a chance at 'appearing' in A Memory of Light, then check out the finer details here.

No comments: