Thursday 21 February 2008

SF Site's top 10 of 2007

Having seen the top reads of 2007 as stated by the SF Site, I feel slightly embarrassed to admit that I've only read two of them - Joe Abercrombie's Before They Are Hanged, which pops up at number 5, and Scott Lynch's Red Seas Under Red Skies. Interestingly, Red Seas Under Red Skies only manages 9th on the list - he was 1st the year before. Either there were a lot of quality books released last year, or fans didn't quite enjoy his second novel as much as the first.

Harry Potter makes the obligatory appearance, along with heavyweights such as Dan Simmons and Steven Erikson. I've heard good things about Simmons' The Terror, and have been meaning to pick it up for a while.

No surprises who is at number 1 - Patrick Rothfuss, with The Name of the Wind. I've got a first edition copy of this novel on my shelf where it has been gathering dust for months. I will get around to it at some point. The hype has matched that which surrounded The Lies of Locke Lamora, so I'm slightly worried it won't meet my expectations. It certainly sounds damned good though.

Here's the link for the full list: http://www.sfsite.com/columns/best08b.htm

3 comments:

Todd Newton said...

I bookmarked the list in case I run out of stuff currently "on my list," which isn't likely to happen. The blurb for The Name of the Wind is quite interesting and seeing as how it's the #1 recommendation of site readers the novel is probably quite a catch.

Sometimes I wish I had read "everything else" already so I could stay on the cutting edge of SF & Fantasy but, much like my experience with theology, I'm a latecomer to the party and constantly playing catch-up. I'll get there someday.

Anonymous said...

I dunno. I'm not so impressed with the majority of those choices for various reasons, not that I think they aren't good books necessarily, but that there are more enjoyable ones out there...

kiwi said...

The Name of the Wind is a really amazing book. It's one of those books that you can't stop reading but, when you do, you wish there was more.