Sunday 20 January 2008

The monster is loose...




My ARC of Joe Abercrombie's Last Argument of Kings arrived in the post yesterday, after being delayed for a week because when originally delivered it wouldn't fit through my letterbox. Now I can see why - the book is a monster, far longer than the two previous books in the trilogy.


I've never received an advance reading copy of any novel before, so this was a pretty cool experience, made all the more exciting by the fact that the ARC in question is a copy of Last Argument of Kings.



In the picture to the left you can see the personalised message Joe wrote. It says "To James, best of luck with your writing. With all my love, Joe Abercrombie."

Ah, he's a real sweetheart. Actually, in case anyone thinks there's some sort of secret tryst between Joe and myself I ought to say that Joe only wrote that because I asked him to. As a joke, of course. There's nothing more to it. No, really.

As for the story itself, I'm about 80 pages in and things are warming up nicely. I'll get a review up as soon as I finish reading.

Joe incidentally has just announced some live appearances, so go check out his website for the details.

No comments: